It’s so important to introduce the magic of crafting to children at the earliest age possible.
Now, for most people, particularly those with busy schedules, I can already hear you screaming nooooo! But before you exit from my page, allow me to plead my case by introducing non-messy craft ideas!
Believe me, I’ve had years of experience with this and I have learnt a lot!
I have also had plenty of experience managing craft disasters too. Like the time the two little boys I was minding found the paint and decided to turn the living room rug into a rainbow.
Or the time the 4 year old at a craft workshop drew a green beard on himself with marker. The look on his mother’s face when I returned him to her...!
* Sticky tape
* Crayons or twist crayons (instead of markers)
* Pack of paper plates
* Pack of multi-coloured paper
* Plastic safety scissors
* Colouring and multi-activity books (older kids love colouring challenges)
* Coloured paper & card
* Stencils in fun shapes
* Pre-cut shapes & designs to decorate (you can get these in most craft stores in various shapes and sizes)
* Always supervise - never leave children alone with glitter or paint!
* Store the items either high up, far away or somewhere that little hands can’t get to them, especially when you’re not nearby
* Use glitter glue instead of shakeable glitter - this also can be used instead of paint - adds a bit of colour without the mess and you can buy it in several pretty colours
* If you really do want to use glitter, put it in a pre-used salt shaker, then put it in a plastic box or shoe box and place the item to be glittered over it, so that any excess glitter is collected in the box, not on your carpet.
My advice is, avoid glitter completely when working with anyone under 8! All you have to do is turn your back for 30 seconds and...glitter explosion!
To name but a few:
* Build fine motor skills
* Improve coordination
* Taking a break from screen - blue back-lights can damage eyes
*Listen to an audio book or some nice relaxing music
Most importantly, once you start to make time in your life for craft time, you will see how much more relaxed your child will become. It's a quiet time to spend away from loud noises and distractions, a mindfulness that will stick with them for the rest of their lives.
So, I hope that these tips have helped you to introduce some crafting time into your busy schedule. Stock up on those items - and let the crafting fun begin!